Saturday, December 18, 2010

Trying in 2011

I'm participating in Reverb 10 for the month of December. Each day has a new prompt to encourage participants to reflect on 2010 and manifest what’s next in 2011.
December 18 – Try. What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it? (Author: Kaileen Elise)

It's another one that seems a little repetitive.  Or maybe it's just that my life isn't that interesting!  I'd say the thing I want to try the most in 2011 is to get a new 5k PR.  On the big 5k in September where I got a PR that I wasn't expecting, I still missed the ultimate 5k goal (for now) by 2 seconds.  My goal for the 5k is a little strange in that it can't be defined too well -- all I want is to beat Adam.  And he's not running very much right now, so if I can do it in the first few months of 2011, I probably only have to improve my current PR by 2 seconds.  But if he races again and sets a new PR, then I'll have to beat that.  So maybe it's a dual strategy.  Train hard and make a few strong attempts at the PR while the weather is good for running.  And second, ply Adam with cookies, alcohol, pizza, etc. to make sure he doesn't set the current bar any higher! 

As for something I wanted to try in 2010, I definitely wanted to try to beat him.  As I've mentioned before, I went for it a few times in the spring and never suceeded.  Then I almost did it in September.  I got a new PR, but missed beating him by 2 seconds (and I missed the tie by a mere 1 second).  It was a fun goal for the year, and even though I haven't accomplished it yet, it will keep me working hard in 2011. 

I might be able to offer a more interesting answer for something I want to try in a couple weeks.  I go home tomorrow for Christmas.  One of my projects is going to be to work on my 2011 resolutions.  I might be able to come up with some other good things to try, but right now I'm distracted by (and procrastinating doing) my to-do list to come up with a good post.  Fun things like the bank, the post office, buying the January book club book (Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, any thoughts?), loading up my carry-on (hopefully adding some grapes or other snack from the grocery store), washing whites and adding to the suitcase, shopping for blank or Italian cards (still on my list!), finishing my two "work-required" gifts, a bit more wrapping, etc.  But instead I'm reading blogs and watching Hoarders...

I ran a quick loop of the lake this morning with a few friends.  One had to turn off early and on the second half of the lake, there was a new path that has recently opened up, the Santa Fe trail I think it's called.  Anyway, I saw it last weekend during the 5k with my co-worker's daughter, but we weren't in a position to run on it, so I just looked.  This morning when we hit the part with the new trail, I asked my running buddies if they'd be okay with adding a mile or so to our route.  They agreed, so we turned onto the trail.  I grabbed hands with Fred and Joy for my first few steps on the trail (an odd personal tradition, held hands with two of my besties first time on the pedestrian bridge at the lake, held hands with weekend friends on my first little part of the extension of the trail near our house).  We ran almost half a mile on the new trail and then u-turned back.  It was really cool.  A little strange that there is a fence on each side of you for much of it, and the fence is right next to the running path, so there is no dirt or grass alongside the path for people who like to run on the softer surface (or for dogs to poo, which seems to be a problem, there were several piles in the path). 

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for running while I'm home.  The high is 21 on the warmest day.  Ugh.  I have 2 gym mornings planned on Wed and Thurs, but think I'll be outside the rest of the time.  If I could push myself to do 8-10 miles outside on Mon and Tues, then 8-10 on the dreadmill on Wed and Thurs, then I can take off on Fri and Sat, see if I can get motivated to run outside on Sunday, and then I'll be back in Dallas!  I will aim to run on at least a few days early in the week and maybe do weights once, then Fri is the traditional New Year's Eve lake loop, then Sunday marathon training will officially begin with 8 miles, at least according to the rumors I've heard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment