Monday, October 21, 2013

Friend Makin’ Mondays: A New Season

I'm slowly getting caught up and hope to post more about our lovely vacation later this week.  But this weekend I was asked several times about the highlights.  For me, the highlight was definitely a gondola ride in Venice.  While I'd been to the city several times, I'd never done a gondola ride before, and it was so wonderful and romantic.  Other experiences in contention for trip highlights -- Neuchwanstein castle in Germany, Oktoberfest, and of course the marathon PR. 

But like I said, hopefully after I get my workload under control (maybe Wednesday?), I'll post more.  But for now, it's Monday and I might as well get back to my Monday routine!

Friend Makin’ Mondays: A New Season

friend makin mondays

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

A New Season
 
1. What is your favorite thing about Fall? I love the cooler weather for running.  Here in Dallas, while we have some freak very cold and very warm mornings in the Fall, generally you can run in shorts with long sleeves or short sleeves.  You can run faster and it just feels so good.

2. It’s not Fall until… I go to the State Fair.  So I guess Fall isn't coming this year.  The fair ended this past weekend (we were in Europe for the first few weekends) and we didn't make it.  The weekend was just too busy since we have our other vacation of the year coming up next week actually (very poor planning on my part!).  Usually I do the duo-Fall celebration of a local Oktoberfest, then the Fair and that means it's really Fall -- and I usually start Christmas shopping then. 

3. Apple cider or hot chocolate?   I like both a lot. If I had to choose, right now I'd pick hot apple cider since that seems like more of a morning drink. 

4. Share a happy Fall memory.  Going to the State Fair with my parents when they've come to visit.  The first time I tried fried butter was with them.  If only that day hadn't happened and I never knew the goodness that is fried butter (if only I'd been content to just think it sounded kind of gross)... well, at least I saved those calories and artery-clogging by skipping the fair this year. 

5. Do you have any hobbies that are seasonally specific? If so, what are they?  My main hobby is definitely running, and peak marathon season has traditionally been from about Sept. 20 until about Dec. 20 -- the main window for Boston-qualifying races back in th day before Boston filled up in less than a day or had a rolling admission plan.  So marathon season is kind of specific (though there really are great marathons year-round), but no other seasonal hobbies. 

6. What do you miss most about Summer now that it’s officially over?   The easy clothing choices that go with summer running.  Heck, easy clothing choices in general -- for work and play -- since the weather is 100% predictable.  It's a pain to run and realize you've made poor clothing choices for the weather. 

7. Do you prefer pumpkin pie or pecan pie?  Pumpkin.  I'm allergic to nuts so pecan isn't an option.  If the other choice had been apple, that would have been a tougher call.  I actually hated pumpkin pie growing up and didn't start to like it until sometime in the last ten years or so. 

8. Do you suffer from allergies?  Yes.  The worst of the allergy season in Dallas is wrapping up for me fortunately. 

9. How do you celebrate Halloween?   The last 4 or so years, I've gone to my friends' house to go trick-or-treating with her and my godson while her husband stayed home to hand out candy.  But this year, we'll be enjoying Halloween with dinner at what is frequently considered to be the best restaurant in the country! 

10. What is the biggest change that you expect to experience during this season?  Hmmm, no real changes expected.  I guess the biggest changes are travel experiences.  This fall included a first trip to Liechtenstein for me, and first time to share experiences with hubby in Germany and Venice, and next week, wine country! 

Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions! Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments! Happy Monday, friends. 

4 comments:

  1. oooo...a gondola ride! i would love to do one of those if i ever make it to italy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Venice (heck, all of Europe) sounds great & mmmmmfried butter - I can only imagine!!!

    Stopping in from FMM - hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I can't comment from my phone which is where I've been reading lately. So first welcome back! I really enjoyed your China trip posts. I learned a lot and felt as though I was visiting vicariously through your posts.

    Fall is my favorite season. However, it is quickly getting cold outside.

    I look forward to reading about your European vacation sometime especially Lichtenstein, a country I know very little about. Enjoy your wine country visit. I'm curious about your Halloween dining plans…The French Laundry maybe?

    ReplyDelete