Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lunchtime Mistakes

One of my resolutions was essentially to clean up my eats.  It kind of fits into my resolution to train hard, and my resolution to cook more.  As both are getting underway, I'm still eating frozen meals at my desk for lunch a few days per week.

Hubby does our grocery shopping, but he generally knows what I like and so the only two kinds he buys me are vegetarian Lean Cuisine, or Amy's meals.

Well, my all time favorites have been Amy's mattar paneer, and Amy's country cheddar.  I knew the country cheddar wasn't particularly healthy, and I don't eat it often, but it works for lunch, and I do view it as kind of a splurge.

And I'm in the routine now of taking my lunches for the entire week on Monday so that I can run to work the rest of the week.

Sometimes when there's a new-to-me frozen meal, I'll photograph the box, text it to my husband and tell him what I thought (either "loved it, pls add to the rotation" or "never ever buy this again").

Today was insanely good.  I took a picture of the box to text him.


And as I was setting the box back on my desk, I happened to see the nutritional info. Holy $hit!!!

I know not everyone in the world is watching his or her weight, but I had just assumed that a frozen meal would never be more than half my saturated fat for the day.


I guess that's why they say to never assume anything...

Oops. So I guess my text to hubby will have to be something like: "this was insanely delicious but not too healthy, so please buy it again for me but not more than once a month."

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I definitely read the nutritional label when I make my purchases. It shocked me in the beginning when I learned how many calories I was actually ingesting in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose this is one downfall to my husband doing the shopping. He knows I like variety in frozen meals, and knows I like Amy's, so I think he buys those without looking at the nutritional info at all. No longer!

      Delete