Monday, January 21, 2013

Another weekend

Is it sad that the best part of my weekend was probably an aircraft change on the flight from Chicago to Dallas?  That meant not only did I get an upgrade, but it was to "lay-flat" seat!  If only I'd been traveling further...  The only other time I've been in a lay flat seat was on Royal Thai and it was for another short flight within Thailand (think it was maybe when we went from Phuket to Chiang Mai, but not sure).  Why, oh why, don't I ever get one on a long flight?  Oh, that's right, because I'm cheap and the free upgrades (or upgrades with credits) only work on flights where there are seats available in first class.  Oh well...

My seat menu:

My "snack":

Safety first:

My seat (along with all my carry-on crap):
 
 
The pictures are a little out of order.  Anyway, since I got upgraded right before we went, that meant there was no request before the plane was loaded for a vegetarian meal.  The choices were chicken and pear salad, or a roast beef wrap.  I asked if the flight attendant could prepare the salad without the chicken, and she said yes.
 
But when it came out, it had nuts on it.  Darn it.  I told her I was allergic and she said, well, what if instead of the roast beef wrap, you just had the crudites that accompany it.  That sounded good, so she made me a little plate of cucumber and carrot sticks. 
 
As for the rest of the weekend, it was all good, just not quite as exciting as a lay flat seat. 
 
Friday night, we went out to dinner with my in-laws, and my brother-in-law and his wife.  I don't remember where we ate, it was a restaurant in some little strip mall/shopping plaza thing.  Not sure what city it was in, but we had to drive about 15 mins from my in-laws' to get there.  It was a pizza place and they had one of the more unusual and one of the more delicious pizzas that I've had in some time -- roasted cauliflower pizza.  Yum!  We each ordered a small (except my brother-in-law and his wife got a large roasted cauliflower to split).  But they were all stacked in the center part of the table -- my mother in law took a piece of my small roasted cauliflower!  Not a big deal.  But then, it was so good, she gave a piece to my father-in-law.  And since they both had meat on their pizzas, it wasn't like I could help myself to a piece of theirs.  But lucky for me, the pizza was very filling and a small (less two pieces) was plenty.  But I was still pretty shocked she did that.  If we'd been with my family, I would have smacked one of my brothers' hands away from my pizza.  Or I would have expected one of my sisters-in-law to ask first (very unlikely my brothers would have asked). 
 
Saturday was mostly getting organized and flying home alone.  Hubby stayed behind for a memorial service for his high school wrestling coach.  In the end, flying home solo worked out very well since he and one of his brothers were up very late helping their mother balance the checkbook.  Ugh!  But since we only see them a couple times a year, it's nice that he was able to help. 
 
Sunday was my best "long" run yet.  Very steady pace and quicker than usual for me, at least until the last half mile.  One person in our group was lagging behind (recovering from the flu in general and a wedding the night before), so I slowed to a walk and waited for him to catch up so he wouldn't have to finish up the run alone.  After the run, I cleaned up and went to pick up hubby at the airport, then spent most of the rest of the day at Bikram yoga or reading.  I started a Stephen King book (Hearts in Atlantis) that had been near my bed forever.  I'm about halfway done and it's very odd -- not sure exactly what is going on yet. 

1 comment:

  1. All in all, it sounds like a great weekend. A seat upgrade is definitely a big deal, glad you got to take advantage of a free seat in first class.

    ReplyDelete