Friday, December 7, 2012

#Reverb12 Day 7: Taking with You

For the month of December, I'm working on doing the daily series of Reverb prompts to help me reflect on the prior year and hope/plan for the upcoming year. If you're interested, join in; I found this to be a very useful exercise when I did it two years ago.

#reverb12 Day 7: What will you take with you?


What's the one thing you want to take with you into 2013?

Umm, lots of stuff.  Pretty much everything.  My whole life.  My happy marriage.  My awesome job.  My healthy family. 

I don't love this prompt and am not sure what it means. 

I guess if I hae to think about what's most important to me, I'd say the happy marriage bit.  I want to carry my present level of closeness to and affection for my sweet hubby into 2013.  He's such a trooper to put up with me sometimes.  I'm not exactly easy to live with, I'm sure. 

Example.  Last night I ran home from work.  Unfortunately, there was no cold Gatorade in the fridge.  I was pissed.  Especially since twice I'd thought to myself to put some in the fridge -- once the night before when I'd drank the last cold bottle, and once that morning, when I saw the empty space where Gatorade usually is in our fridge.  So I was sulking during dinner and drinking water.  Hubby hasn't been feeling great, so he'd already eaten and gone to bed but he came back downstairs when I got home to keep me company.  I told him that I was mad that "someone drank the last cold Gatorade and didn't put more in the fridge."  And it was funny how swiftly he denied being that someone -- I knew full well it was my fault, but it's abundantly clear that I frequently falsely accuse him.  Haha.  That's one of the bonuses to having a roommate, you always have someone to blame when things get lost.  Even if it's something like my favorite pink skirt -- I know full well he didn't wear it or move it, but if it's lost, in my mind, sometimes it's easier to just assume he did something with it.  Then when it turns out to be in my dry cleaning pile and I later find it, I know it was just me forgetting I wore it.  But in the moment, at least for me, I like shifting blame.  How in the world does he put up with that?  Haha. 

He's a good influence on me in many ways:

He's very nice to people, including strangers who would otherwise scare or irritate me.
That ties into the fact that he's endless patient (contrast with me, one of the 20 most impatient people in the world I believe). 
He's easy-going in general. 
He's good at recognizing what matters, which ties into being easy-going.  If I want to do something and he doesn't, if I indicate I really, really want us to do it, he'll generally give in.  He never argues over something silly, or just for the sake of arguing (which is definitely something I and many other lawyers have been known to do... occupational hazard!). 
He's almost always in a good mood, and that rubs off on me.
He's very affectionate, at least at home, so I get lots of hugs and kisses.
He's dedicated to getting up on time in the morning to work out, and that definitely rubs off on me.
He's a healthy guy, which is lucky for me, since he does the grocery shopping.
He's very funny, so he will try to make me laugh when I'm in a bad mood.
He's generous with his time, love and affection (and he's not materialistic, and is on the same page as me for the most part when it comes to spending money).
He's adventurous; if I can win the battle to do SOMEthing, he's ready for ANYthing.
He's so sweet to me.  He makes such an effort to make me happy.  From unloading the dishwasher when he's home sick, to remembering my favorite frozen meals to get me for lunch.  I feel like the overriding thing I notice sometimes is how hard he works to keep me happy.  I don't deserve him but I'm lucky.

So now that I've declared our relationship is what I want most to take into 2013, watch, this will be the week I find out he has a crack whore on the side...  Haha!  I should have listed that he's eminently trust-worthy, which is good for me as it squelches any jealous tendencies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment