Wednesday, December 5, 2012

#Reverb12 Day 4: You

For the month of December, I'm working on doing the daily series of Reverb prompts to help me reflect on the prior year and hope/plan for the upcoming year. If you're interested, join in; I found this to be a very useful exercise when I did it two years ago.

#reverb12 Day 4: How will you celebrate YOU?

How are you going to celebrate your self this festive season?

I feel like a lot of what I do this holiday season is kind of celebrating myself.  Even things like spending a lot of time shopping for gifts and wrapping them is because I love having people admire the wrapping and being (hopefully) so happy with what I chose. 

But truly celebrating myself?  I guess working out with my normal schedule, including my new commute to work on foot most days, is celebrating myself. 

This question is hard for me, probably because I don't have kids?  I feel like most of what I do is done because it's what I want to do.  I'll go to Christmas parties and holiday happy hours and holiday dinners and holiday runs (and holiday post-run breakfasts) because I want to.  I'll shop, wrap and bake because I want to.  I'll fly home to be with my family for a week because I want to. 

There are definitely a few elements to the holiday season I don't love and that I do for myself.  Writing out cards (but you have to give to receive, and I do love receiving cards from old friends, and I actually love writing the first 25 or so, then it gets to be a real drag...).  Having to work, even some days while I'm home with family (but that's my fault for using all my annual vacation days already).  Dealing with crowds (I try to minimize this by a single trip to the mall around the holidays and doing lots of online shopping and non-mall shopping).  The weather (totally out of my control, but not bad this year actually!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment