Thursday, September 15, 2011

Why I Can Run 16 Miles but I Can’t Race a 5k

So I’ve opted the run the 10k race this weekend, instead of the 5k (or the 20k). I’d posted before about how there are two awesome races in Dallas on Saturday – a 5k associated with an Oktoberfest celebration, and a 10 or 20k associated with the Arboretum. And I was completely torn as to which to do.


One of my New Year’s resolutions was to set a new 5k PR this year. Last year I set a PR at this very same Oktoberfest 5k. I was thrilled. And then I was a bit devastated to realized I’d missed by only one second the tie for a PR with one of my younger brothers. And if I’d gone 2 seconds faster over the 3.1 miles, I could have beaten him. So this year, I really wanted to do it.

But I’ve come to accept that it won’t be this weekend at that same Oktoberfest 5k. I just can’t do it right now. Even though I easily ran 7 miles this morning and plan to run 16 on Sunday. I just can’t race 3.1 miles.

For me to PR in a 5k, I have to run 100% effort for all 3.1 miles. I’ve done a few weeks of reduced mileage lately in hopes of easing this pain that I’ve had in my soleus. It’s working. My soleus is no longer tender to the touch. It hurts a bit while I run and afterward, but it usually feels fine within 6 hours of running. Major progress from a month ago when it still hurt 48 hours after running. But because my doc recommended cutting back and not doing hills or speed, I’ve been taking it easy and following orders. Not exactly a recipe for a 5k PR. My legs aren’t in shape to run 100% for 5k.

And to make matters worse, my @ss (and the rest of my body) isn’t in shape either. Trying to heal more quickly, I’ve been taking it easy at boot camp lately, doing more weights than cardio. Now I love weights, but I know cardio is key for speed – and for me, for attempting to maintain my weight (for me, weight loss can come from diet changes, weight maintenance can be achieved generally by maintaining my cardio levels).

Well, without any cardio, and with all kinds of bad eats and drinks lately (bachelorette party this past weekend with wayyyyy too much alcohol, a large bag of Garrett’s caramel corn that made it back from Chicago with me and has since disappeared, etc.), the pounds are really creeping on. To the point where my clothes are uncomfortably tight. I’m trying not to sweat that too much. When my calf is healed, I expect to step things back up and hopefully at least get back to where I was in January.

But the bottom line is that there is ZERO chance of a roly poly Carina beating last year’s race-ready rock-solid Carina. Not even by a mere 1-2 seconds.

All that stuff you hear about not being able to build speed and distance at the same time is true. It was just a freak that I hit the 5k PR last year only a few weeks before my marathon. My speed work was peaking at the right time, and my old 5k standard had at least some wiggle-room.

So I’m doing the 10k on Saturday, and I’m either running it at marathon goal pace or at an easy pace. My 10k PR has lots of room for improvement, but I don’t think my body or my legs are ready to step it up right now, and I don’t want to jeopardize my calf healing. So instead I’ll hopefully run the race for fun and know that I’ll get the 10k PR eventually. And that hopefully the 5k PR will come in another month or so. I bet I could find a good one in October or December.

No comments:

Post a Comment