Tuesday, August 30, 2011

AWOL

So I feel like I barely have time to think right now, but no good explanation.  Here's the quick update, hopefully more detail to follow eventually:

Hit the big 36 on Saturday.  Relaxing day.  Fun-filled (and pizza filled) night.  Definitely will post pictures! 

RARE Sunday in town with my husband.  That seriously never happens.  It's been years.  I got up to run in the morning and then he came out to meet me and my running buddies for breakfast.  I should also post about this later, but it's so strange -- at this restaurant, Cafe Brazil, almost every time I go, I feel this weird circle of love thing.  It's hard to explain but I will try -- just not this morning!

Many hours of errands on Sunday.  I think we had 5 stops and I foolishly guessed 2 hours.  Way wrong.  First stop was to shop for my future sister-in-law's bachelorette party (got a boa, penis straws, and a "pin the torpedo on the sailor" game), then we stopped by my office just to grab something quickly I'd forgotten, then to a drug store (new cheapo sunglasses for me, readers for hubby (!), deodorant and hand sanitizer, how's that for random, and I bought my only little pack of pretzel M&Ms b/c hubby refused to pay for them and I wanted to try them), and then our progress truly ground to a halt -- an AT&T store dealing with phone stuff for a very long hour or more.  Final stop was my fave grocery store (it's all relative in TJ-free Texas), Central Market.  OMG, I remembered why hubby does our grocery shopping.  I hate that place on a Sunday so much.  It was packed.  I almost felt claustrophobic.  I think my blood pressure was skyrocketing from the slow pace.  I'm way too impatient, and not having to deal with that regularly might have even further reduced my tolerance.

The good news is we kind of started shopping for a dinner party at home on Friday!

But the bad news is this is my first week of attempting to work from home on Friday, so I am going to have to be very disciplined to avoid cleaning, cooking and other distractions.  I should have started last week, with far fewer distractions, and maybe I could have laid the groundwork for some good habits.  Fortunately, I like my job enough (and it's busy enough) that I'm trusting I'll be successful at it.  And that we'll have an awesome night.

And other mixed bad-ish news, my calf.  Definitely the soleus.  It's so painful.  But I gave in and went to my ortho yesterday.  Fortunately he didn't tell me to stop running, though he's glad I've cut my mileage.  After 3 weeks in the mid-40s, last week was about 30, and I think this week will also be about 30.  He said it's just inflammation (and I can't take anti-inflammatories b/c of an allergy), so I'm trying to ice, stretch, etc., and for the first time this morning, I wore heel lifts in my running shoes. 

Thank goodness it didn't completely jack me up!  But it was weird.

Last night we went to hear Ruth Bader Ginsburg speak.  It was awesome and I marked it as the most interesting night of our year (hubby voted for a night in Paris as being more interesting, but I'm sticking with Ruth). 

Tonight the cleaning and planning for the dinner party begins in earnest.  Still don't have an exact headcount.  I'm hoping it will be 2 other couples. 

I remember writing notes in high school and a lot of times we'd put LLL at the end -- longer letter later. 

Well, LLL! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, so much going on for you. First of all, happy birthday!!

    How cool that you got to hear Ruth Ginsburg speak! That must've been one of the highlights of the year.

    I hope your calf heals quickly and you're back in business soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday! I hope it was a great day and you thoroughly enjoy this new year of life. :)

    ReplyDelete