Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Vacation Eats: Santa Maria de Leuca Restaurant

This is a post in my "Vacation Eats" series. I'm posting about various eating and drinking experiences I had on our 2011 Vacation Extravaganza -- Pittsburgh, Boston, Italy, Paris, Pittsburgh. A link to all posts so far is available here. The idea is to lose all the pounds I gained by the time I'm finished with this posting series!

Another restaurant post where I can't include the name.  We were just north-east along the coast from Santa Maria de Leuca, but it was getting very late in the day, and these beach-side downs are largely deserted anyway this time of year, so we stopped for lunch in what seemed to be a hotel restaurant.  My favorite part was probably the dessert.

First, a few pictures from the drive from Lecce, down to the coast, to Santa Maria de Leuca. 





And then some pictures from Santa Maria de Leuca.  This is where the Ionian and Adriatic seas meet, essentially the tip of the heel of the Italian boot.





And finally, lunch.


Hubby's calamari, which he enjoyed.  I had a salad I think.


My pasta with red sauce.  Good but couldn't compare to what I'd eaten in homes on this trip.

Dessert.  Warm pineapple, topped with vanilla ice cream or gelato, and then a fruit sauce.

After lunch, we went to Gallipoli.  Not the famous WWI Gallipoli, but Italian Gallipoli.  A fun food pic from the parking lot there -- seafood being sold on the street.


1 comment: