Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Vacation Eats: Homeward Bound

This is a post in my "Vacation Eats" series. I'm posting about various eating and drinking experiences I had on our 2011 Vacation Extravaganza -- Pittsburgh, Boston, Italy, Paris, Pittsburgh. A link to all posts so far is available here. The idea is to lose all the pounds I gained by the time I'm finished with this posting series!

We flew back to the US on Delta.  Ugh.  It was so funny to compare the flight attendants on Alitalia, going over, on Air France going to Paris, and then on Delta coming home.  By far the oldest, most unattractive, and rudest flight attendants were on Delta.  Just funny how that works.  It's like you have to beg Delta for a glass of water on an international flight.  Compare that to Alitalia, when you get on the plane and you ask for an early glass of water, and then you mention you're a thirsty person, and surprise, they keep coming back to make sure you have or don't need water.  Anyway, I put my better representative Delta customer service example below!

The food, however, seemed to be roughly equivalent on all of them.  My meal on Delta on the way home:


It was some kind of cheese tortellini.  Pretty good.  Dessert was sorely lacking.

Then a couple hours before we landed, we got a snack (hubby is indicating with his hands that it's pizza no. 10 of the trip).  Pizza that was surprisingly good!


One anecdote that captures my frustration with Delta: 

On the trip from Dallas to Pittsburgh, I had a connection.  The flight crew had the same connection as me, same crew for both flights.  We landed in Atlanta, I walked to my next gate, pretty far away.  I made a quick stop for a sub sandwich that I got to go.  Got to the gate and started waiting, though it was just about time to start boarding.  The gate person made an announcement:  the plane was there, everyone had gotten off, but we couldn't board until the 2 remaining crew members arrived.  We waited, and waited, and waited.  It was basically departure time, and we're still waiting for 2 missing crew members before we can board.  Eventually, the 2 crew members came strolling up.  I recognized both from my last flight, so I knew how long they'd been on the ground (and of course I know that they were the last ones off the plane, but they weren't far behind me).  The best part though, was they both walked up with ice cream.  One with a cup, one with a cone.  So glad we all had to wait for them to order their ice cream, and our flight was late leaving the gate b/c of them.  Delta Airlines sucks.  I wish I'd taken video of it.  They can eat all the ice cream they want if there's sufficient time, but when all the passengers and everyone else is waiting for them, that's not the time to stop for ice cream.  Basic customer service here. 

But whatever, we made it home!  We'd never flown internationally into Pittsburgh before.  It sucks -- you have to go through customs and then go through security again, even if you're leaving the airport!  Colossal inefficiency!  But there's a cool Statue of Liberty replica that you see as you come through international arrivals. 

Here are a couple fun shots playing with the zoom on the camera in the air.



1 comment: