Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Vacation Eats: Easter cake from your neighborhood gas station

This is a post in my "Vacation Eats" series. I'm posting about various eating and drinking experiences I had on our 2011 Vacation Extravaganza -- Pittsburgh, Boston, Italy, Paris, Pittsburgh. A link to all posts so far is available here. The idea is to lose all the pounds I gained by the time I'm finished with this posting series!

Easter is a big holiday in Italy, and on la Pasquetta, Easter Monday, lots of people go with their friends to the countryside for a picnic.  We drove that morning to Puglia, Italy's boot "heel."  And they had a big "Pasquetta in Citta'" festival going on.

But the point of this is that even at the gas stations, Easter is a big thing.  We finally broke down and bought our first Padre Pio magnet to bring home for our refridgerator (hubby's family's house (and friends' homes) is filled with Padre Pio stuff.  We might as well get our collection underway.  We already have a little wooden thing, but our fridge was void of Padre Pio until we stopped at this gas station.

Free with purchase of our Padre Pio magnet was an Easter cake.  Too funny!




Oh, and I photographed a new variety of Pringles that I saw at the gas station.  I don't know why I take pictures of Pringles cans in foreign countries, but let's just say, 2011 is not the first year I've done this.
You really find some unusual flavors abroad.


No comments:

Post a Comment