Saturday, March 5, 2011

Crazy Good

I ran an easy 7 this morning and probably started off too fast.  But I couldn't help it, I feel like I'm the happiest I've been in a long time. 

I worked really late last night, on a Friday night, and I loved it.  I feel like my career mojo is back.  I've come on at my new job at one of the two busiest times of the year.  And I like being a team player, being challenged, having a lot of work and enjoying it!  I walked out with the VP who is my boss.  I tried to explain to him the rules that I was taught at a big firm about who leaves when.  Basically, the most junior attorney has to stay the latest.  When there's something big going on, you get to go home at night in order of seniority.  Not so at my new job!  He insisted I not stay any later. 

I have tons of work to do, and I'd love to work all weekend in some ways and get a bunch done.  But he said he's not going to have me burning out after my first week. 

It was such a busy week.  Not only was there all kinds of learning new stuff at work, but there was also meeting a bunch of new people, plus trying to do actual work, plus a 55+ mile week of training, plus plans every night last week, plus a sick husband at home (just another upper respiratory infection, ugh). 

But as I was running this morning, I couldn't get over how great and happy I felt.  If only hubby felt better, it would all be perfect right now.  To top it all off, my mom's coming to visit in a couple weeks, my fave race ever is coming up next weekend, we have a dear friend's wedding to go to tonight, it's all good.  Or it's all gouda as the AC would say! 

I'm just ignoring the fact that now, as we're FINALLY watching the Lifetime Amanda Knox movie we've had on the DVR for weeks, I happened to see that they're making a movie about Wills and Kate.  Something like "the royal love story."  Between this and their wedding website, ah, I just have to keep reminding myself that it's okay not to have a back-up plan.  I'm happily married, and the man I always thought I'd marry deserves the same.  Kate should get to marry him, it's not fair to her for him to be just waiting to see if I'm ever single again. 

One other interesting thing is brewing in the back of my mind.  On Wed night, I went to the social run and did about 5 easy miles.  Afterward, usually hubby joins me and running friends for dinner, but since he was sick, I was on my own.  There was a huge group that stayed afterward to eat and drink, and I got to have dinner with my most favoritest bestest running coach ever.  I was telling her about the job and all, and how one cool thing I'd noticed was that, as I was being introduced around my floor, I discovered several other runners.  Most of them aren't marathoners, but some have done one, some used to run, some run a bit now. 

Anyway, my coach said, hmmm, White Rock Relay?  That's our local marathon.  I've never actually run anything other than the marathon there (which I've done about four times), but they have a half marathon and a 5-person relay, where each person runs about 4-6 miles.  Hmm...

I think I could find 4 others pretty easily, even if I tried to do attorneys only.  The woman with whom I work most closely just ran 39 minutes yesterday morning.  She's just starting out, and doesn't love running, but I bet she'd be up for it.  One time running came up in a conversation and I said I'd done about 10 miles that morning.  She was like, wow, you could eat almost anything.  She's limiting her calories to 1300 per day, but maybe she adds some for exercise.  I know she's watching what she eats a lot.  She's lost 13 pounds so far.  Last night we shared some candy.  Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared to work late at my new job -- so I lacked my emergency food supplies.  I was starving by about 7:00 and I'd eaten all my food.  So she and I raided a co-worker's candy dish.  I chose a little thing of whoppers, she got milk duds, and we split them.  I've liked working with her a lot.  Very lucky!  It's also great because she really knows what she's doing and is so generous with her time and instruction. 

Anyway, bottom line is that life is very, very good.  Better than ever!  18 miles tomorrow morning, which should be fine -- except it includes 8 fast miles.  That might make it very tough.  Plus the wedding tonight.  Either way, I'm enjoying a completely awesome weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that things are so good for you right now. All the best with your new job!

    ReplyDelete