Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Competitiveness

I try very hard not to be competitive about my running.  Neither with my running friends, with my husband, with people whose blogs I read, or even with myself.  I heard long ago (possibly from "the Penguin") that if you want to run for a lifetime, you can't even see it as a competition with yourself b/c eventually younger you will beat older you.

As I'm still hoping to achieve some PRs, I'm not at that point yet, but I definitely am aware of the need to mentally check myself from focusing too much on that.

I suppose I feel fairly competitive with Adam, but who knows about that.  It's mostly probably joking, but we're fairly serious about comparing race times.  He has the 5k title by 2-3 seconds.  He has the 8k title by probably 7 minutes (I don't have the chart open right now).  He has the 10k title by less than 15 seconds.  He has the half marathon title by less than 15 seconds.  I have the marathon title by about 5-10 minutes. 

With those narrow gaps, it's hard for me not to be competitive with him.  But part of that is pushing myself to my full capacity.

But with all that said, I must admit that I'm happy about some competitive feelings I had when hearing about results Sunday afternoon from the RNR Half Marathon.

I was excited to say I beat this guy by 5 minutes and change:



Yep, Troy Aikman. 

I think it would be hard to run if you were famous.  I remember for my first few marathons thinking that I just needed to beat Oprah.  Anyway, I beat Troy.  And my friends and I were all somewhat surprised to see him rocking the Spi-Belt.  To each his own.  He could probably kick my butt in 99% of other events, but thus far, the half marathon is all me...

No comments:

Post a Comment