Saturday, January 1, 2011

Goals and Resolutions

Interesting bit on goal-setting that I've saved from the MTCM emailed newsletter:

What should I keep in mind when setting my goals?
Develop goals that pursue values (i.e. self-confidence, patience). Goals need to be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-Bound, Evaluated, and Re-evaluated - "SMARTER." When setting goals, it is also important to utilize what I like to call "consistency," "development," and "rock-star" goals. Consistency goals are for runs and training that one already does well, and that need to continue to provide a base of performance and confidence. Development goals are the next set of goals that are within reach, but are challenging. Rock-star goals are breakthroughs. Use your "consistency goals" as your base, and be judicious in adding "development goals." As your training develops, your development goals become your consistency goals.
Even elite athletes work more with consistency goals, than development goals, and relatively few "rock star" goals. The path through your goals toward your values might wander a bit. Be kind to yourself when you step off the path or have to adjust your goals. Then, gradually move yourself back in a direction toward your values.
I'm going to try to keep that in mind when making my New Year's resolutions, particularly those related to running.  Last year I had two clear running-related resolutions:  get my marathon time within 5 minutes of what I needed for Boston (meaning shaving at least 4 minutes off my PR), and to log at least 1300 running miles (improving on my 2009 total of 1284). 

I accomplished both.  Not only did I get my marathon time within 5 minutes of Boston, I actually qualified and had a few minutes to spare.  And not only did I log 1300 running miles, I hit that total in early December during my second marathon of the year, and I've kept running this month to end up with a total of just over 1400 (haven't calculated exactly, probably around 1402 or just under). 

The two tangentially-related resolutions were to improve my posture and to lose some weight.  Those two count as fails I guess.  It's hard to measure posture.  The one sub-part of that was to stop crossing my legs to avoid making my creepy knee-area veins any creepier, and I think I did well on that, but I still am awful about posture in general (as I type this while curled up on the couch).  And weight loss kind of happened, I was doing great right before the marathon, but the second half of December has killed me and I've erased most of my 2010 progress.  Technically, I'm starting off 2011 below where I started 2010, but not by much.  But again, since I have a couple clear running goals for 2011, I'm not sure weight loss will be a real priority, though it will hopefully happen. 

I'm still thinking about 2011 resolutions.  Giving myself until the end of the weekend to set them.  I will probably have three running resolutions -- to exceed 1400 miles for the year (should be easy-peasy given spring and fall marathons in all likelihood), to get a marathon PR, and to get a 5k PR.  I'd also like to lose weight, to eliminate clothes that don't fit from my closet, and to floss regularly.  That's about all that relates directly to my body. 

I'd like to make a more concerted effort at adding research I'm compiling for possibly a non-fiction book someday, or just to have. 

2011 is going to be l'Anno Italiano (and yes, you should sing that to the tune of Mambo Italiano).  To the extent it does not negatively impact communication in our marriage, hubby and I are going to speak Italian at home in the evenings.  I want to keep a running list of words I need to look up or learn from hubby.  I'd like to spend some time actually studying Italian each week.  The relatives with whom we stay in Italy are older and speak mostly dialect, but they understand Italian just fine, and we both understand some dialect.  Usually younger people help us understand what older people are saying, but there are inevitable moments of frustration and miscommunication.  Either way, I can't control much of what I understand from them (though I'm watching an Italian movie right now, just trying to get more used to hearing it), I can at least improve my vocab and make myself more easily understood. 

I'd like to renew my resolution from last year about entertaining at home more frequently.  I love cooking and having people over.  Because of our schedules unfortunately, it works best for us to do this on Friday nights, which means I have to choose things mostly that can be made in advance since I work on Fridays.  But I'd like to have some different friends over and try more recipes, plus entertaining some of our "regulars" again in 2011. 

I'll have to keep thinking to come up with a good list, but that's where I am so far.  Full official 2011 resolution list coming tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed with you having run 1400 miles. Someday ... ;-)!

    Looks like you have some great 2011 goals in mind.

    ReplyDelete