Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Backfat and the Wedding

The day before the Twin Cities Marathon, we went out to breakfast with my baby bro and his fiancee.  Just the four of us.  Over breakfast, they asked us to stand up in their wedding, which is this summer in the Other Big D (that being Detroit).  Sweet!  Of course we happily said yes (and my baby bro nixed my offer to sing a solo at the wedding, hahaha, and his fiancee promised to take me up on my offer to proof/draft/work out the invitations). 

As time has passed, the details have been getting firmed up.  First, the bride was leaning toward having the four of us wear this dress (Lazaro): 


I went to try it on when my cousin and his wife were here in town and showed my husband what I looked like in the sample.  The first words out of his mouth:  You can't wear that in a church! 

Haha.  Yeah, it was pretty low cut!  But they're not getting married in a church, and maybe we could make it work with double-sided tape or a simple extra stitch.  But wow, very, very low. 

But even worse, my dress was going to require fairly major alterations because my waist size was disproportionate to my bust and hip measurements on the dressmaker size chart. 

Well, last week we found out she'd decided that BM dress was too matchy-matchy with her dress.  I don't want to post her dress pic on the very slight chance that somehow my baby bro finds/reads this blog!  Oh, and last week we found out the guys are all going to wear suits.  And they're all going to buy them.  Weddings are expensive!  But it actually sounds like they found a good deal on the suits, and it's a really neat looking suit and it's grey (and hubby's most-frequently-worn suit is black, so at least it won't be another black one). 

So then she decided on this dress (Lynn Lugo):


That's not me in the picture, it's one of the other bridesmaids.

I went to a bridal salon today at lunch to see if they had it in stock (only one shop in Dallas carries it) and to get measured again (surprisingly enough, not only are my measurements identical to November at the other salon, but all 3 actually fit into the same size on their size chart!, so at least I won't need major alterations).  They didn't have it in stock, but they had something pretty similar, so I got to try that on.

All I can say is holy backfat! 

I called my husband and said that from now on, at boot camp, when we have to use weights to do any kind of rows, either upright rows or push-up rows, I'm going to use his weights.  He uses 10s and I wimp out with 8s, but wow, my back needs some major work. 

Their wedding isn't until July, so there should be plenty of time for me to work on getting rid of some of the rolls on the outer edges of my back.  I wish you really could do spot-toning.  Wouldn't it be cool if everything we ate that was not going to be burned off within 24 hours we could choose where to allocate?  Like you could paste little chunks of fat on your bust, or in your armpit, or between your toes, or where ever you wanted to stash it! 

Like I said before, I don't like making specific weight-loss resolutions because they don't usually work for me, but I'm hoping my goal of getting a PR at Boston will mean that I get into better shape and some pounds magically drop away.  And maybe some of those pounds can be my little upper back/armpit roll/muffin-top! 

I definitely try not to be overly critical of my body.  I know I'm not beautiful on the outside (at least not in an objective viewer's eyes), but I'm very happy with the things my body has been able to accomplish (and the things I hope it will accomplish in 2011).  But oh, my back needs work! 

Maybe I could just save $$ for lipo there...

But if you have any mid- to upper-back toning exercise suggestions, I'm all ears!

1 comment:

  1. my brother is also getting married this year in october, i feel like i could have written this post myself. Looking good in the bridesmaid dress is my motivation 2011! You will do great and look great - plenty of time before :)

    ReplyDelete