Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Time at Home

Since my step-dad died a few months ago, we've all been trying to spend a lot more time with my mom.  Still no concrete plans for the future, it's hard to think about it right now since this is such a beautiful time of the year up there.  But winter is coming, and that will not be any fun for her alone, so hopefully we'll come up with a plan soon.  I'm lobbying for a mom-share plan, where she spends a couple months with us, then goes home for a month, then a couple months with one of my brothers, home for a month, a couple months with another brother, etc. 


I went up for a week (Wednesday to Wednesday, bookended by two Philly trips).  It was hard to be there.  It feels more real there -- I keep waiting for him to come home.  But it was so nice to have the time with my mom. 


How I enjoyed spending free time:






And a few pics from my runs up there: 









It's so beautiful there, and the weather is like a dream.  My running schedule called for a cut-down week while I was there, but it was impossible.  I couldn't do a 12 mile long run in 47 degrees and know that I had to do 18 the following weekend back in Dallas in 85 degrees at 5:30 a.m.  I had a pretty high mileage week up there, but it was glorious.  An 18 mile long run that I even started in long sleeves (not necessary, but just because I could...). 

The runs were necessary because there was lots of home cooking, and a full schedule of other things to do -- plus work!  I don't have any free days to take for vacation since we're taking a long "real" vacation starting in a month and a half.  But fortunately, I can work remotely from home and my mom refills my water bottle, so I can be super-efficient! 




No comments:

Post a Comment