Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Life these days

It's hard to even put into words how chaotic things have been lately.  I suppose I could go through my expense reports and count days, but suffice it to say, I've been on the road way more than usual for work lately. 

It seems like this is my typical view lately: 






So my typical morning views have looked like this:






That's actually been a mildly exciting development. I often stay near the federal courthouse in Center City in Philadelphia, which means I'm very close to the Ben Franklin bridge.  And with a bridge like that, it's hard NOT to run it.  The problem is, from my hotel, I'm completely across the bridge in about 2 to 2.5 miles.  And I usually want to run at least 3 miles out in the morning.  The obvious option would be to add some miles before the bridge or after I come back across, but I hate running in Center City.  Even early in the morning, it seems like there's a moderate amount of traffic and I have to stop for a light every few minutes. 

So instead, I've been searching out options when I get across the bridge into Camden.  Continuing along with traffic is not an option, it's about 6 lanes and I want to get away from that ASAP.  So I have to turn at the bottom of the bridge.  I've tried turning left -- super sketchy.  I've tried turning right -- scary.  I've tried u-turning to the left -- sketchy and nowhere to go really.  But... if I u-turn to the right, I can get to the river and there's a fairly nice paved trail that runs south along the river for a while, with the Rutgers campus on the other side of the trail.  Winner winner, chicken dinner.  Since I've discovered that route though, I've only gotten to run it one more time, but there's still plenty of Philly in my future, so I'll get to keep scoping it out. 

Anyway, if I'm not on the ground, these are my other typical views.


But this is the view I feel like I should have -- home in Dallas: 




Oh well, I'm not actually complaining.  If the price I have to pay to take a solid vacation in less than two months is a summer of travel away from Dallas -- during the most miserable season of the year, so be it! 



3 comments:

  1. Hi Carina! I traveled every week for two years and now I am back in the office and I miss is so very much so I am living vicariously through your pictures! HA HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of Camden right over the bridge, 'sketchy' and 'scary' definitely come to mind! :) Glad you found a bright spot to explore!

    I remember when I was doing a joint research project with folks at UPenn around '89-90, running in the morning around Philly ... early enough that it wasn't busy, and most people were either waking up or still awake from overnight, and neither were scary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray for a new running route! that's always exciting in my book! also, can't wait to hear about your vacation!

    ReplyDelete