Monday, April 27, 2015

Unusual Chafing

I had the laziest weekend ever.  My husband was out of town visiting his parents (I was supposed to meet him there since I was thinking I'd be working in Philly last week, but my court setting was continued, and then it just seemed to late to book a trip on my own dime).  I had the house to myself which meant .... puzzle!  I'll have to share pictures later this week.  It's not even close to done, even with a friend coming over for 5 hours to help on Saturday.

I ran a little on Saturday around lunch time, ugh.  It already felt hot.  Think the high on Saturday was 90?  And of course, given the puzzle, and the fact that I was running solo, meant that I did not get out of the door early in the morning.  Running in the early afternoon sucked.  There were so many families out on the trail, which meant little kids who would just cut across the path with no warning, or who were weaving all over on their bikes.  But I survived and was happy to have gotten at least a little movement.

I stayed awake way too late Saturday night working on the puzzle.  I figured it would be horrible to have the alarm go off in just 3-4 hours to run, but I rationalized that I could nap later in the day.

But then I woke up and it was sunny out.  WTF?  It turns out I'd turned off my Sunday alarm last weekend (we had our anniversary dinner party and I'd planned on skipping my Sunday long run).  And of course I'd never turned it back on.  Ugh.

So that meant another solo run.  Fortunately, I got out there at about 7:00, so it was not as hot or sunny.  But it was humid and definitely warm. 

I experienced chafing in the most unusual place.  My collarbone/upper chest area.

 
So different.
 
You can't see it well, but those are little elephants all over my shirt.  I wore it today because my heart is still heavy thinking about Nepal.  I wonder if all the amazing things we saw just six short months ago are still standing, or if they are just piles of rubble now.  I worry about the one person we got to know the most, a guide that we kind of hooked up with.  He hasn't checked in on facebook and I hope he and his family are okay.  And then I wonder about all the other people we interacted with or just saw.  All the smiling people who were so friendly to us.  Are they okay?  Their families?  Their homes?  Their businesses?  It hurts my heart. 

7 comments:

  1. That IS bizarre chafing! Have you seen the movie 'Wild'? She is hiking the Pacific Crest Trail and my first thought looking at her pack was 'oooh that is going to chafe something wicked!'. :)

    And I agree on Nepal, I've not been there, but whenever I've been someplace and then a disaster quickly ensues, I think of the people I met and it is even more sad than the already horrific news. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband calls it my "Bataan tramp stamp" from the marathon I did in 2012 wearing a pack -- that chafing was horrible and the scar on my lower back is still there.

      Delete
  2. Yes, so so sad for the country of Nepal! One of my dear friends is a brilliant doctor who goes on medical missions to Nepal to train the first responders in life support - a skill that is not universally taught in the area. I'm worried he may have lost friends and colleagues, but I hope he was able to save some lives through his teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an important thing for him to have done, I'm sure it's made a difference for some survivors.

      Delete
  3. I've gotten chafing there but it's been from half-zips ribbing on my collarbone. I doubt you were wearing a half-zip with temps in the 90s! And yes, very sad about Nepal. It must be very sad for you since you met people there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was short-sleeves and I guess maybe too tight across my shoulders? Ugh. It makes me look like a meth-head or something. Haha, high necked shirts for the rest of the week!

      Delete
  4. That is unusual chafing. I cannot wear tank tops for anything over a 6-7 mile run or I get what I call bat wing chafing on my inner upper arms.

    Oh my goodness Nepal has been in my prayers for weeks and now they have suffered another earthquake. It's devastating.

    ReplyDelete