Thursday, November 29, 2012

Shopping Status

Mostly for my own sanity, partly because I need a mental break from work, I figured I'd work on a status list of my Christmas shopping.

I have a big family and we exchange gifts with almost all my brothers still and gift cards aren't generally done in my family, so holiday shopping is a big task.  But I have to say, I'm not complaining.  I love exchanging gifts with my family.  I love getting them something and hoping they'll like it (or if they made a list, hoping no one else got it too).  I love thinking that they'll use/wear/whatever and think of me/us.  It was funny that when one of my older brothers got married at the beginning of November, my husband and I happened to both wear sweaters to the rehearsal dinner -- sweaters that we both got last Christmas from my baby brother and his wife!  His wife noticed mine, my baby brother noticed hubby's -- so I'm guessing she shopped for me, and he shopped for my husband.  But it was so cool to be wearing them (that really was by chance) and to have them know that we loved what they'd gotten us, that they're actually being worn. 

I feel like a lot of what I own -- clothes, jewelry, kitchen stuff, things around the house (but not furniture) -- has been given to me by family or friends.  And I love that.  And even the furniture and some of the bigger accessories, either I bought while travelling (most expensive is a beautiful, huge silk rug I bought in Thailand about 10 years ago), or that my mom helped me choose.  I like it that way -- many things hold a lot of sentimental value for me.

Anyway, because there's a lot of shopping to do, I may as well share my list here! 

My mom:  have bought her a set of intricate bird sculpture napkin rings, a pair of pants, and a pair of earrings from China, still need to get the rest of her gift, probably some tea or socks.

My dad:  have bought him a total of 2 traditional books and 2 non-traditional books (one is about paper airplanes and includes paper, one is about the Terra Cotta Army in China, and includes a model), still need to get the rest of his gift, probably clothing.

My step-dad:  done!  A cookbook, a fun book, a dress shirt, a baseball cap, and a little fishing sculpture from China.

My step-mom:  done!  Charms for her bracelet, plus a magnet and a bowl from China.

All of my older brothers:  done!  they're easy, we just do small things and/or cards.

My next youngest brother:  have gotten a little book, still need to get the rest and he is so hard to shop for and never makes a list of ideas.  Ugh.  It's a shame I'm morally opposed to buying meat, otherwise I'd get him a box of good salame or a delivery of steaks or something like that.  But no go...

His wife:  still have to do it all.  She made a list, but it was mostly gift cards, which I just don't like doing (actually, they're just not usually done in our family, though they are definitely awesome to receive).  I guess I'll get her the two CDs on her list and then some clothes, maybe from the places she picked so she can return, or whatever.  She tends to not like most of what anyone gives her...

Their son (just turned 7):  done!  A book, 5 sets of flash cards, a harmonica and instructions with a CD, and a soccer ball.

Their oldest daughter (will be 6 in Jan):  have bought a puzzle geography book, still need to get the rest -- probably a hat, some body wash, and some clothes.

Their youngest daughter (turned 3 over the summer):  got her a cell phone toy, still need to figure out the rest -- I know they'd like a set of sheets for her, and some washable markers.

My middle-little brother:  done!  he's getting a total of 3 books (two funny, one a San Fran cookbook), a running shirt, a shoe pod to carry a key while he runs, an astonomy chart, and a bow tie.

His wife:  have gotten her two running shirts, a running water bottle belt, running gloves, earrings form China and a set of 12 chopsticks from China, but still need to get something else, but she hasn't sent a list yet...

My baby brother:  done!  a dress shirt and a humidor.

His wife:  done!  got her a set of candles, earrings from China, a fancy set of 5 sets of chopsticks from China, and a sweater.

My grandpa:  done!  A book and a National Geographic subscription.

So that's it for my family (except of course my husband, who technically could read this blog so I don't want to list it -- but he's done except for a few little things for his stocking. 

As for friends, I usually exchange gifts with 5 girlfriends.  Four of them are done (lots of books this year!), one is only partially done.  And then there's my godson (turned 4 while we were in China), so far I've gotten him one set of matchbox cars, need to get the rest of his gift (maybe walkie talkies?).  I have to also do something small for his older sister, so she's not left out.

Yikes!  That's a lot more shopping than I realized remained.  I was feeling pretty good about having several people done, but in reality, there's a lot left. 

Can you tell from the list that my new office is right by a bookstore?  Lots of people are getting books...

1 comment:

  1. Wow that's a lot of work. Your family sounds like a lot of fun. Holidays with my family are a bit lackluster despite my attempts to change things. Certain family members are very resistant to change. So I'm sure I'll be getting a few gift cards again this year!

    I would be quite happy with a book. I love giving books as gifts as well. In fact that is usually what I give when my son is invited to a birthday party.

    Good luck with the rest of your shopping. I'm going to start mine tonight hopefully.

    ReplyDelete