Monday, November 19, 2012

FMM: Thanksgiving Edition

Today is moving day -- new office space.  My commute is now a mile shorter (I think it's just under 4 miles each way), but I think it takes about as long as it did before, maybe even a little longer because there is a big parking garage.  And because I'm still doing the stairs, and now we're on the NINTH floor.  Yikes!!!  That alone seems to take about 15 minutes, haha!  But tomorrow will be my first day running to work, which will be very exciting.

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

Thanksgiving Edition

1. Do you have any Thanksgiving traditions? If so, please share them.  The big tradition for us is the local 8 mile turkey trot in the morning.  My husband missed it one year because he was on call for work and someone was dying (sigh, I guess that's a valid excuse...).  Beyond that, no real traditions.  We've always stayed in Dallas since we've been living together, so that means no family except one year one of my cousins was in town (his wife had a baby here in Dallas because it needed surgery right after birth).  So we either have people over to our house for a big meal, or we go to friends' houses for a big meal.  Eating and running in town are the core of our tradition. 

2. List at least three dishes that are on your family’s table every year.  We generally rotate most dishes when we host the meal, but I suppose there are a few constants.  When hubby and I cook for ourselves or for friends, there are always mashed potatoes, acorn squash filled with peas, and rolls.  This year, hubby's best friend's wife is cooking.  She is Italian and a great cook, but she tends to ignore?  forget?  not care? that I am a vegetarian.  So we are bringing 3 things -- a butternut squash cheddar bread pudding (likely my main course), a cheese-onion-mushroom tart, and a dessert (pumpkin crisp). 

3. Do you prefer pumpkin pie or pecan pie?  Allergic to nuts, so obviously pumpkin.

4. Will you watch football on Thanksgiving Day? No.  If it's on TV, I will do my best to ignore and focus on spending time talking with people, not watching TV.

5. Do you plan to exercise Thursday? We are both planning to do the 8 mile local turkey trot.  That race is actually my longest running streak.  This will be year 9!  Over the last several years, I'd been on a steady streak of improving every year.  Sadly, that is coming to an end this year.  I'm not in PR shape right now, especially since I ran pretty well last year.  But it will be a great race with lots and lots of friends, and it's hard to argue with starting your day at -800 calories! 

6. Do you prefer ham or turkey?  Neither, over 10 years as a vegetarian now!

7. Will you shop on Black Friday? If so, where will you go first?  Probably not.  I've never done it before and have no real desire to start.  Plus, I only have lists from a couple family members, so it would seem kind of pointless, and I prefer online shopping anyway. 

8. Do you take a nap on Thanksgiving?  Sometimes.  I'm hoping to squeeze one in this year after the trot and cooking our contributions, and before we head to hubby's best friend's house. 

9. Share one dish that probably won’t be on anyone else’s table.  I'm sure there will be some very interesting things on our table.  I would guess that my main meal contributions (butternut squash bread pudding and the cheese-onion-mushroom tart) are fairly unique. 

10. What are you thankful for today?  Whew, almost everything.  Great marriage to a healthy and wonderful husband, my wonderful family whom I love AND like, my awesome group of friends (both running and non-running), my health and ability to run, my job that I love, the opportunity to travel (in terms of finances, health, vacation time, etc.).  Pretty much my entire life! 

Now it’s your turn to post the questions on your blog! Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments! Happy Monday, and happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment