Having that option kind of boggled my mind. I have no idea what is true about this large-book option:
- Fees have changed (and I'm cheap), or
- I never read the choices fully, or
- I didn't think I'd travel as much as I do.
For whatever reason, I've always just gotten the standard passport in the past. And I've traveled enough on each of my last two passports that I've needed to get extra pages (which is a moderate PITA). This time, I'm going for it! The large passport book will be mine in about two months!
Unless of course any of the out-of-my-hands governmental failures occurs.
So now, assuming I manage to get this application into the mail within a few days (another pain because I can't just mail it, they recommend sending it in some track-able form), the question is: do we go ahead and book plane tickets for September, banking on having a passport again in my hands in less than five months? Or do I wait 6-8 weeks, see if have my new passport, and then book tickets, and risk that the price will be higher? And what do we do if I wait two months and still don't have it? Hmmm....