Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sore or Injured?

Something is wonky in my left ankle and I can't tell if it's something to worry about or not. 

I ran last night, 5 miles at the social run.  I planned on going very slow and easy.  I was running without any weight.  While I'd think that running without weight would make me run faster than I used to because I'm getting stronger with the weight, that is not the case.  My body is adapting to a slower stride and pace, and it's slowing me down whether I wear the weight or not. 

Anyway, Wednesday nights are my one run each week without the weight.  So I ran the first 2 miles pretty easy, and then I had volunteered to lead the group going 5 miles, so when we got to the water stop at 2, I called out to see who there wanted to do 5, and several people joined in to run out another half mile.  But since those people were already hanging out at the 2 mile water stop, that meant that they were running faster than my friend and I were.  So we picked up the pace and ran a fairly quick 3 more miles. 

By about mile 4, I was having some pain on the inside of my left ankle.  But I never fell or rolled it or anything, so I have no idea why. 

I was able to finish up the run, and went out for Mexican food and beer with a bunch of people and pretty much forgot all about my ankle. 

This morning I could feel it when I woke up, but I went to my group run anyway.  It was 5 miles and at a very easy pace, so I figured I'd be okay. 

I could feel my ankle in less than a quarter mile after the start, but it never got too painful.  I was able to finish the 5 miles feeling alright, and I got home and iced it for a little while. 

By the time I got to work though, I could feel something wonky in there. 

The odd thing is that at boot camp yesterday, we did a lot of exercises in the side plank position.  We were doing one-armed presses, and we were doing something where you're in a side plank and you just raise and lower your hips (if you're looking at the exercise, if you're doing it, it's more like moving your hips side to side).  Several years ago, something in my ankle or calf hurt a lot and I blamed it on those side plank exercises. 

It's the only thing I can think to blame.  I really hope that's what's causing the pain, because I would expect that kind of soreness to go away in a few days, as opposed to a real injury, which would be quite inconvenient! 

Either way, I think I'm going to opt for a rest day tomorrow, and maybe on Sunday as well.  I haven't taken a day completely off in a couple weeks, and yesterday was a double workout (boot camp in the morning, social run in the evening), so maybe this is just a little warning sign, my body waving a caution flag. 

I'll honor it!

Just to be safe, I made an appointment with my ortho's PA for tomorrow morning...

3 comments:

  1. I hope your ankle feels better. I tend to err on the side of caution as well because I worry that pushing too much might side line me for much longer than a few days. I've seen the plank exercises that you're talking about (sadly cannot quite do them myself) and it does sound reasonable that they could be responsible for the ankle pain.

    I haven't had a chance to read too far back in your blog and I was wondering why you're training with a weight during some of your runs. I've seen people from time to time running with weight vests. It looks so challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing the weighted running to prepare for a marathon at the end of March (called the Bataan Memorial Death March), which commemorates the Bataan Death March during WWII. To honor that struggle, you have the option of running (or walking) the marathon with a pack weighing at least 35 pounds. After that is over, I'm looking forward to bringing the vest weight down to about 20 pounds and trying to use it during some workouts to do lunges, squats, box jumps, etc. b/c I think it's a neat tool. Just haven't used it that way yet, so far it's been solely for running and walking.

      Delete
  2. That's incredible. I'm so in awe of what people are capable of. I look forward to learning more about your experience. Hope your ankle feels better soon. I just read your post from today. I broke a rib back in September. I went to an herbal medicine store for some suggestions. I left with some mineral tea and a supplement for bone healing. I can't be certain that they miraculously healed my rib but they definitely didn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete