Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lenten Plan

I have been trying to come up with a good way to mark Lent this year, and nothing has come to mind.  So I decided to do something I've done before -- no more chocolate.  I hate doing something so trite, but there just hasn't been anything else that struck me.  I would rather do something that reflects some connection to God, like doing X community service hours per day/week, or planning to do daily spiritual reading, or committing to attend church x times, or something, because I think that's closer to how I view the purpose of a Lenten sacrifice, but I'm just not sure I'd do those things.  Especially since my weekends are really full until the weekend following the marathon (marathon is 3/25, so my first free weekend day is 3/31!!!).  But let the record reflect my weekend plans are all things I want to do -- getting my running coaching certification, marathon training (including another 9 hour walk and another shot at trail running), having out of town company, etc.  Either way, I didn't think taking on something that takes time would have a high chance of success. 

Cho-CO-late (sung to the tune of Jump-ON-it) isn't usually something I eat very often.  But at some point in the last few months, I opened a big Costco bag of Ghiardelli squares that had been sitting in my desk for months, and I've been plowing through them, eating 2 or more per day at work.  There's just no need for that.  Fruit is a better snack, and I know it.  I enjoy the chocolate though, so this is somewhat of a sacrifice. 

I got more Ghiardelli squares for Valentine's Day, but those will just have to wait for me until Easter. 

Maybe I will still try to squeeze in some positive acts.  Trying to compliment someone every day?  Spiritual reading at least once a week?  Church more (that's easy, since attendance is currently minimal for me, but I have major church issues here, too numerous to discuss, but anyone who knows much about the Episcopal diocese in Dallas and my personality will understand I suppose)?  Community service regularly?

Also, not really related, and I hate talking politics, but does anyone else think Americans would go bat$hit crazy if someone burned a bunch of Bibles, the same way people are going crazy over American soldiers burning the Qur'an?  Maybe it's just living in Texas, which is dangerously close to the Bible Belt, but this strikes me as a very common reaction to the burning of a sacred book.  I hate that this happened.  It feels so disrespectful and makes me kind of sad.

1 comment:

  1. I think giving up the chocolate is a good one, especially if you do couple it with doing some positive acts.

    ReplyDelete