Thursday, December 29, 2011

Feeling Like I'm 90

My body is hurting right now, but I'm trying to tell myself it's in a good way.

Last week Sunday, I did my longest weighted run so far -- 3.1 miles, and then I followed it up with a couple more miles of walk/run.  My total distance was 5.7 miles.  Quite exciting.

Last week Monday, per usual, went to boot camp.  It included about 1.5 miles of (unweighted) running.  Average workout.  Felt fine afterward.

Last week Tuesday, a run day as usual.  I slept in a little because I was w/o running buddies that day.  I went 3.5 miles total (weighted), and I tried doing run/walk intervals of 4 minutes running, 1 minute walking.  I think there was one mile that was downhill so I skipped the walk interval and just ran the 9 minutes straight, but then took the next walk break. 

Then last week Tuesday, we flew home in the early evening.

And there was pretty much no exercise the entire time I was home.  I went for a walk one day with some of my family and the dog, but I think it was less than 2 miles and it wasn't a strenuous pace or anything (I walk here in Dallas with my next door neighbor all the time and she walks fast, so it's strenuous walking). 

Flew home on Monday and on the plane, knowing I'd land around 4:30, I fully intended to see if my husband would join me for a long walk -- like 5 miles or something.  But then I landed in Dallas and it was raining and I'd checked luggage and of course it took about 45 minutes to show up, then by the time we got home, it was wet and late enough that I had no interest in walking.

But Tuesday morning I tried to jump back into my routine.  2.5 weighted miles, running the whole time.  I was winded.  Felt out of shape.

Yesterday I went to boot camp in the morning and it was tough. 

It was an indoor camp.  We basically warmed up, then started a pyramid -- there were 6 exercises, 60 reps each, to do in 6 minutes (of course no one finished), then running 6 laps (not full size track laps, just mini-laps) in 3 minutes. 

The 6 exercises were weighted shoulder press, weighted jump squats (or weighted calf raises for me, I don't like jumping with weights), weighted tricep extensions, weighed split squats, weighted push-up rows, and the "super cherry pickers" (like a burpee but with no push up and with a knee tuck on the jump).

After the first set of 60 reps of each in 6 mins, followed by 6 laps, we dropped the first exercise completely (so started with jump squats), dropped the reps down to 50 and the time to 5 mins, then 5 laps in 2:30.  Then we dropped the prior first exercise (so started with triceps), dropped the reps to 40, time to 4 mins, laps to 4 in 2:00.  You get the idea. 

It was tough but not killer.  Felt good.

Then last night I jumped back into another month of yoga.  First class back in nearly a month!  The heat felt somewhat overwhelming -- I thought I might pass out on about three separate occasions.  But I felt like I managed pretty well.

This morning I did another weighted run, this time with hubby.  We ran and walked about half a mile, then ran 4 miles, then ran and walked another half mile or so. 

And now I feel like I can barely move.  Boot camp and yoga have completely caught up with me and I have the delayed onset muscle soreness that I love and hate at the same time.

Typing and working is nice since I barely have to move at all.

It's crazy how out of shape my body seems to get after just 6 days with no activity.  I can't imagine that's normal? 

Either way, it's going to be a long road back to my routine where working out 6 or so days a week usually feels fine and I'm rarely excessively sore. 

Hopefully the month of yoga will help again too! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your exercise program sounds exhausting. I hope one day I'm capable of doing all that. That's certainly my goal. I hope you're proud of yourself that you are capable of doing that. I just restarted my exercise a few weeks ago after 3 months of no exercise because of surgery. I'm nowhere near where I was 3 months ago, but each workout gets a little easier.

    I always get so motivated after I read your blog!

    ReplyDelete