Friday, November 4, 2011

Yoga Packing List

So I did heated yoga on Tues and Wed nights, and I planned to take off last night anyway, but it was a lucky coincidence because I was SORE. 

I'm planning to get back to it this afternoon (work from home on Fridays meant early start for me today, and I skipped boot camp to get some extra rest and recovery), and I'm hoping to go every single day through Wednesday, then skip next Thurs again.  I'll see how I feel to decide if I go on Friday, then I fly out of town Sat morning for the marathon. 

More for my benefit, after having forgotten a few key items each night, here is what I need to pack:

One empty bag with zippered pocket -- I'm using my new Vera Bradley bag for this that all the bridesmaids got in the wedding a couple weeks ago.  This is for my work clothes and shoes and my jewelry and it goes from my office into my trunk.  Then I never have to mess with it.  You're not supposed to wear jewelry in class, but I leave my wedding ring on.  But no engagement ring, no necklace, and now having thought very recently about nearly losing those items, I know I have to have a secure place to put them while I'm in class.  No sense putting them in the locker room, trunk is a much better bet. 

Yoga mat.  Forgot this the first day.  D'er...

Beach sized towel to put over mat.  Oh, and I need a new one each day.  It reeks afterward.

Hand-towel

Water bottle filled to the very brim and icy cold. 

Ideally the towels and water bottle are in another bag.

Bag with yoga clothes -- running shorts, sports bra, shirt to wear over.  But I've learned not to wear the shirt in class.  I'm insanely self-conscious, but I truly can believe no one is looking at me.  Way too warm to wear a shirt. 

Comb, elastic and maybe barrette -- forgot all of this the first day. 

Flip-flops to wear to and from car. 

Sweatshirt to put on afterward for drive home.  Even if it's 75 out when I'm done with class, it feels cold after 105.  And when it was like in the 40s Wed night, it really is cold! 

Bikram swipe card to use before class.

Extra cold water bottle in car to drink afterward.

If I can remember all of that stuff today, I think I'll be setting myself up for success.  For the first couple days, I wasn't doing separate bags, and it was hard to change in the bathroom at work and jam my work clothes back into the bag I was getting clothes out of, and then bringing all that into the studio seemed pointless.  A separate bag that can stay in my trunk is the way to go. 

So far all I can say is that I'm sore and I've lost weight.  Almost back to where I think I was about a week after Boston -- still should go down from there, but at least I'm in the ballpark.  Obviously I don't think it's real weight loss, though I suppose a pound or two could be.  It's got to be just water weight from sweating profusely for 3 hours so far.  But as I mentioned, not so hungry afterward, so less food at night means maybe a little bit of real weight loss.

I was starving in class on Wed night and felt nauseous several times.   I need to make sure I eat before class.  With running less than 10 miles, I can usually eat a granola bar and be fine.  And my stomach's good even if I finish chewing that granola bar about 30 seconds before I start running.  For longer runs, I need more calories, but I still don't need a ton of time to digest it.  But with yoga, I could see how that could be different.  They recommend eating about 2 hours before class.  I think having something like an apple would be perfect, and maybe even an hour before class, but I have to eat something within 2 hours of the start of class.  Lesson learned. 

Anyway, Wed night when I got home though, after being starving in class, I wasn't really hungry, but hubby had texted me that he left my dinner on the counter.  It was a big plate with wild grain rice, steamed baby carrots, and steamed zucchini and green bell peppers.  I looked at it and wasn't enthused.  I kind of wanted a cold salad.  And a small one.  This was way too much food.  But I cleaned my plate and it was insanely delicious. 

I definitely this weekend need to come up with a plan for after yoga eating that will carry me through the next couple weeks.  I can't rely on hubby to make dinner for me since he'll be out of town some of the days next week, and plus it's not really fair to expect that.

If only I could laminate this packing list and attach it to my wrist or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment