Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Halloween Day Miracle!

So I didn't even post about what I realized Sunday night.  It was just too awful to even type out.  Plus there's still a slight concern my husband could read this blog whenever he wants.

Sunday I had a 15 mile run (I was supposed to include 6 miles of race pace, but wasn't feeling it, so I did 15 easy with my group), then went to breakfast with my local bestie (the one whose sister passed away just over a week ago) and another friend (want to make sure my bestie is feeling lots of love these days), and then came home for a very very fast shower and wardrobe change, then went to my godson's third birthday party -- stayed there most of the afternoon, came home, made a cake for work and ended up missing book club in favor of finishing the cake and hitting the hay early.

That was when I realized my problem.  I took off my earrings as I was getting ready for bed, but I wasn't wearing my necklace.

Instant flashback to earlier in the day.  I was done running and stretching at about 8:30, home from breakfast around 9:45, then it was a rush to get ready.  I had to wrap his birthday gift, and I really needed to get laundry started.  I'd showered and then went to wrap the gift with wet hair so it could air dry a little.  Then back to getting ready, and grabbed my earrings and necklace as I left our bedroom.  I was also carrying a laundry basket and I remember very clearly that my necklace slipped in the handle a little.  Anyway, got the laundry into the washer, grabbed the gift, and got in the car.  I remember setting my necklace, earrings, and phone in my lap, and putting his gift in the front seat.  Pulled out of the driveway around 10:55 for an 11:00 party -- no big deal, but I was supposed to help with one of the games, so I was irritated with myself for running late.  Intended to put the jewelry on at red lights along the way.

Got to the party as other friends were pulling up.  It was a huge party in my friends' back yard.  About 20+ kids and 50+ adults!  Big bounce house (no weight limit, so I got in while the kids were eating and it was so much fun, but completely exhausting), lots of games, and I already posted about the pizza (and of course there was cake too!).  Party ended around 1, but I stayed until about 4 with my friends' parents and the godfather while we watched the birthday boy open gifts and we just socialized. 

Then I went back to my car, went home, laundry, cake, started a movie, etc.  Got ready for bed, no necklace.  Mild panic.

This has actually happened to me once before.  With this necklace.  I put it in my lap to put on in the car, and it somehow fell through my legs and I then found it in the driver's seat of my car. 

And of course in January I posted about how I thought I lost my engagement ring in January.  That freaked me out.  And I learned some lessons -- first, insurance!  second, I just wear it all the time now, no more taking it off, even for boot camp.

This necklace is also very special.  The first gift I ever got from my husband, a diamond necklace I got for Christmas the first year we were dating.  (Incidentally, before he knew I'm not really a diamond person and have kind of strong feelings about the subject, but I still completely love it and I wear it about 4-5 days per week.) 

So as to not have to own up to it, I just went to bed Sunday night, then basically did everything I could yesterday morning to search my car, short of pulling the driver's seat all the way out.  Nothing.  On my drive to work, I called my friend's husband and asked if he'd mind having the kids play in the street that day and look for it (he and my friend both just had knee surgery, so they can't really get down and do it).  All day long it was on my mind, and he never called me back, so I was assuming the worst.

After work, I went straight to their house to take the kids trick-or-treating, which is our tradition.  As soon as I walked in the door to their house, the kids were talking to me about the necklace.  They'd clearly spent some time searching and they didn't find it sadly.  I tried to put it aside, but as we were trick-or-treating, I was trying to decide what to do.  I'd basically decided I'd spend Tuesday morning crawling all over their street searching, then I'd possibly look for replacements online instead of telling my husband.  I hated the thought of telling him I'd been so careless with something he gave me that is so special to me. 

We trick-or-treated until the kids were too spooked.  Two scary houses where people jumped out at the kids was too much and after the second house where it happened, the kids just wouldn't go up to the door anymore.  So we went back to the house and we all tore into the candy.  Oops.  Well, after a few pieces, my friend wanted to go back to their neighborhood party (her husband was doing some online file organization or something that he was enjoying way too much).  So I said I'd go with her, and her daughter wanted to do more trick-or-treating.  At the last moment, her son did too, so we headed out and hit her next door neighbor's house first.  We spent several minutes talking to him and as we were walking back out to the street, I somehow saw a glint in the street.  My eyes had already moved away, but I looked back and it was still there.  I ran out, and sure enough, it was my necklace!  The kids said they hadn't looked that far up the street.

My fault.  I told him I was about 2 car lengths past their sidewalk, but it was more like 4 or 5.  And I could see why he wouldn't want the kids searching in the street there -- they live in a culdesac, but I was parked closer to the main street, so there was a certain risk of a car coming up on them fast where I was parked. 

So I got my Halloween Day miracle!  And again, my lesson is learned -- jewelry on before I leave the house. If I'm running so late I need to put it on in the car, I just won't wear any and will leave it at home.  I'm again feeling very, very lucky...

No comments:

Post a Comment