Saturday, October 29, 2011

Quiet Saturday

I wanted to go run today, but it just didn't happen. Instead I made some major closet-cleaning progress, which is huge for me. I pulled out about a dozen t-shirts and one dress to donate, threw out a couple pairs of shoes. But the big accomplishment was pulling out all my sleeveless tops and moving them to the upper rack of the closet.

This is going to be insanely boring, but all I have the inclination to write about for some reason.

I should post pictures (that could make it mildly interesting) but I'm too lazy to go get my camera and go back upstairs.

Basically, if you walk in my closet, straight back is a dresser that comes up to about mid-chest height. Top drawer is mostly bras and random stuff (cassette tapes!?!, etc.), second drawer is underwear and slips, third drawer isn't very deep and it's just socks, fourth drawer is running clothes for the top half of my body but short-sleeve or sleeveless only (long sleeves are elsewhere), and the bottom drawer is shorts -- running and regular. On top of the dresser are some folded sweaters and sweatshirts.

Then the right side of the closet has two hanging racks. The lower one is all my pants and skirts. The uppper one is all my tops other than t-shirts. And at the back of that rack, near the dresser, which is basically inaccessible is a drop down hanger with all the sheets for the bed and some beach towels.

Then the left side of the closet is hanging around shoulder height. Mostly dresses toward the front, then ideally a big gap, then all t-shirts toward the back half of the closet, and my wedding dress at the very back. Then above that, way up at the ceiling (so inaccessible without stepping on something), is another hanging rack that's half-height. I have a bunch of t-shirts that I don't really wear but am keeping for one reason or another, another bunch of tops I don't really wear (some don't really fit, some are just special occasions, travel, whatever), and then the rest of the space is pants and skirts that I need to get altered, and a hanging rack that hubby keeps some stuff on.

Well, that big gap that should be there on the left side is supposed to be where I hang dry cleaning before it gets put away, and where I set out all my outfits for the week ahead. And there's a chair in the closet where ideally (though it's never happened), I'd set out my workout clothes for the week ahead.

Basically the left side of my closet was completely jammed full. For no good reason. Between being out of town two weekends ago, and then being sad for my friend and sick last weekend, I just hadn't gotten organized lately. So I put away all the clothes that were jamming up the left side. Then I realized the right side was just too tightly packed.

So I went to the top left rack and pulled out some stuff that I don't need to keep. And then I pulled from the upper right all my sleeveless tops (except a couple that are only worn as layers), and moved them to the upper left. So happy to have that done!

I should head up now and set out some outfits for the week, then I'd really be on the ball!

But now the day has mostly slipped away from me (I managed to organize my recipe book a bit). I may still try to do it, but I want to make a decent dinner and take some over to my local bestie's house for her and her husband -- I don't have a great way of helping someone with a death other than hugging and cooking.

Anyway, I love weekend days like this sometimes!

Updated: phone call from my bro just back from almost 2 weeks of Hawaiian honeymoon, so I figured I'd go upstairs and pick outfits while we were in the phone, then took some pics when we got off.

So, from outside looking straight back, upper left, lower left, lower right, upper right. Realistically, I should get rid of about 30% more at least. At least. I need nowhere near so much stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for closet organization!! I have to do a bit of that pretty soon, too. Especially moving things around with the change of seasons.

    I hope you're feeling better. That bug was nasty, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man what I would not give for that closet space! Our house was built in 1941 and closets were big enough for like 10 pieces of clothing back then. I LOVE my old house with it's amazing character and the old tree in the backyard (the fact that the kitchen and the bathroom are brand spanking new is nice, too!), but I HATE our closets here.

    ReplyDelete