Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Majors Attempt

I've done four of the six world major marathons and I'd like to do Tokyo and London to finish up the series, but both are very hard to get into.


I wish marathon lotteries would have a general category, but then a separate lottery if you can show that you've entered five times and not gotten picked, and prove that you've run some other marathon each of those five years -- it would maybe be a good way for people who are long-time marathoners to get in. 


But my hat is in the ring for London for the second year in a row, and now, there's this:





Tokyo does not fit into our 2019 travel plans in any way, shape or form.  But if by some miracle, I get picked for that lottery, we are going to make it work! 

I've never been to Japan.  It's on the list, but it's hard to get it scheduled since we both like going to new places, and my husband went there before he knew me.  But one of these days I'll get there, hopefully to do the marathon, and hopefully in Feb. 2019. 

Fingers crossed...

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on Tokyo!! That would be an amazing life experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a funny thing about wanting to only go 'new places' ... sometimes you just have to say 'screw it, we've never been there TOGETHER' so it WILL be new because we do things differently together than separately.

    That is how we do it ... Lisa is from upstate NY, I am from Boston and we lived in Boston area for years. Never took a real NY vacation until this year, Lisa had been to the Adirondacks lots as a kid - but it was completely different when we spent our vacation there last month.

    Same when we get around to doing northern or southern California ... I spent about a month a year in the Bay area for the 15 years I was at the company before Corning, but it will be different when we do it together.

    I hope you get to head to Japan together next year ... I'm sure you will find a way to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's definitely different to go somewhere together. I'm in Las Cruces right now for work and I keep remembering the last time I was here with my husband for vacation. It just makes it harder to go somewhere (spending vacation days and dollars) when one of the two of us isn't super interested in going (again). And this is a bit worse because Tokyo is expensive, so it would probably be at the price of somewhere we both want to go. It's a balance right? All about compromise? I'm pretty sure I'll be able to talk him into it -- though the chance of getting picked for the lottery is pretty low...

      Delete