So on my long run yesterday, I got to talking to a guy who is running an ultra this coming weekend. In San Fran. Where I'll be this weekend. And where they also have a full marathon being held.
My schedule calls for 18 miles. I was struggling to figure out how I would work out the logistics of that. Water, route, timing, all of it seemed tough in a city that I don't know well.
The seed was planted in my mind -- what if I did the race? What if I ran 18 (or even 19) as a training run, and then walked the rest?
But the race is sold out.
My friend doing the ultra suggested I bandit the race, but that doesn't seem right since I really want to take advantage of the water stops. There are charity entries still available, but on a Sunday, I figured it would be hard to get answers about how much I'd have to fork over for one of those. Buuuuut there are bibs for sale on Craig's List.
So I think the wheels are in motion. I think I'm buying a bib from a woman on Craig's List. She's in the next age group up from me (which will be my age group in less than 6 weeks). She wants to keep the shirt, but will give me her bib (actually a friend will since she'll be out of the country).
I'm trying to decide ethically if I can count this toward 50 states. I think so. I just have to finish in under 6 hours, which should be okay with about 3 hours of running and 3 hours of walking.
I can't believe I'm really maybe going to do this. I don't want to psyche myself out -- while it would technically be doing the marathon, it's really just an 18 mile training run.
I'm concerned that 8 miles is a very long way to walk. But I really love the idea of doing this, not missing a week of training, getting to be among runners, buying my own shirt at the expo.
This is definitely crazy.
The other option is to do the half -- they actually offer the first half of the race as one event (sold out) and the second half as another (not sold out). And then just add on 5 more miles.
But I think I'm leaning toward a 6 hour 26 mile morning...
I'm heading out of town tomorrow so I need to decide for certain today. It's going to be a long week, mediating in New Mexico and then near LA before finally getting up to San Fran. I think I really want to do this.