Thursday, October 16, 2014

Europe Recap: Munich

Continuing tradition, while we are on vacation this year, I'm sharing some photos and details from last year's trip. Last year, you got to see China while we were in Europe. This year, you get to see Europe while we are in India! 

After Berlin, and after the marathon, we headed by car to Munich to enjoy Oktoberfest.  We went with my bestie, her husband, her sister, and her sister's boyfriend, and while there, we met up with one of my high school friends who now lives in Munich. 

We spent some times checking out the usual Munich sights, but I'd been to the city a couple times (someday I should post my "this would never happen now that we have cell phones" story about a disastrous attempt to meet up with my brother who was living near Munich), plus I wasn't in much of a walking mood thanks to the marathon PR, so it was a low-key trip.  My husband's favorite kind!  He jokes that I should run marathons on every trip because it means I slow down to his vacation pace afterward.

 




Bummer it was under construction.  If my 2004 trip photos were digital, I'd post one of those for comparison.  This is the Frankenkirche, famous for its onion domes:







Somehow this "black footprint" is something I either hadn't seen on either of my two past visits to Frankenkirche, or it wasn't there, or I forgot all about it.  Two sideways photos of the explanation below:




The Neus Rathaus, again:



First time for me, we went to Viktualenmarkt:


Mmm, cheese:


My bestie's sister with a bretzel (that's German for pretzel):

A cheese shop in Viktualienmarkt, so good!


A visit to Hofbrauhaus of course.  I think only my second since I don't remember going there on my 2004 visit:



Upstairs at Hofbrauhaus:

 
 
There you have it, Munich in review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment