Thursday, March 27, 2014

Same Pain, Different Day

I've mentioned before that my most common running injury is somewhere in my calf usually. 

Well, it's back, and it's bad.  I'm mostly writing this post just so it's chronicled. 

I have been feeling very blah lately.

Hubby and I had an awesome trip last week to New Mexico, but spending time with survivors of the Bataan Death March is hard for me.  It weighs on my heart and consumes a lot of my thoughts for a long time afterward.  It was an amazing experience and so worthwhile, but draining.

And I believe the trip was also draining due to a simple lack of sleep.  Saturday night, we were hanging out with some of my friends from the race two years earlier and we didn't get back to our hotel room until probably about 9.  Then we had to make sure we were organized for the next morning.  Then there were loud people in the hotel hallway.  Then our hotel room neighbors had their TV on very loudly.  Then the alarm went off at 3-something, meaning only about 5 hours of sleep (5 hours and 10 minutes per my Jawbone, but only 3 hours and 24 minutes of "sonno profondo" (or deep sleep, my Jawbone is automatically in Italian apparently because my phone is)).  We were aiming to leave the hotel by 4 since they suggested that we be at the Missile Range by 4:30. 

Sunday was the race and it was about 1:00 by the time we finished and got back to the hotel.  Shower, packing, on the road to the airport.  We ended up skipping the closing ceremony, which was a bummer, but made for a less harried trip to the airport.

Our flight was at 6:15, landing in Dallas before 9 (time change).  We were flying first class so I had mistakenly assumed we'd get dinner on the flight.  Wrong.

And we didn't know we were wrong until about 10 minutes before boarding.  We went to a nearby sports bar, but their kitchen was already closed (I know, at 5:45, wtf?).  And the El Paso airport isn't big so there were no other options nearby. 

So we flew back to Dallas and enjoyed some wine and figured we'd just grab something quick near the house (within 1.5 blocks, we have a Chipotle, a Pei Wei, and a sub shop). 

But we landed in my favorite airport terminal at DFW and right in front of us was a fun looking pizza place I'd never tried.

So we decided to be a little crazy and just have dinner at the airport.  Kind of funny.  I actually really liked my pizza.

We were completely beat by the time we got home and both elected to skip Monday morning workouts.  So Sunday night I probably slept 9 hours?  (Actually, 8 hours and 43 minutes, but 4 hours and 33 minutes were sonno profondo.)

Monday night wasn't much sleep though.  Coming from the memorial service for my former running coach, plus still thinking so much about Bataan, I was awake a lot of the night, looking things up on my phone, doing more research, just thinking about things.

Wow, it takes me a long time to get to the point!

I ran an easy 6 or so on Tuesday.  HR high, but with the lack of sleep, that wasn't a surprise.  But today I ran again.  We were supposed to do 800 meter repeats.  I wasn't feeling it, so I figured a few easy laps on the track would work.  I tried to run at a moderate speed for a couple laps, but something pulled in my calf.  By the time I was on my way back to my car, I was walking because it hurt so much.

Hopefully it will follow the course of past calf pain and be gone within a few days.  But actually, this seems worse.  I've never had something hurt so much that I had to walk.  Hmmm.  We will see!  It makes sense that this would happen because I just registered for a half at the end of April...


  1. Wow. I am exhausted just reading about that trip. Rest up!!! And hopefully your calf is just a little tired, too. Take care of yourself!

  2. I hope you start feeling better soon! I agree with Amy - I'm tired just reading about all you did.

  3. Stress, poor sleep and too much on your mind...that's a recipe for injury. I hope you are feeling better. I am sending healing thoughts your way.