Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Yoga Struggle

I went ahead and signed up for a 30 day yoga challenge, which technically started for me just before New Year's.  Our studio here seems to really encourage doing a challenge and they have big group starting dates several times per year. 

The 30 day challenge is a little different this year because they're letting you miss up to one day per week.  That has worked well for me.  I started it on a Wednesday and then had to miss the very next day because of work chaos (that I'm trying to forget), but got back to it on Friday and went straight through the following Thursday.  Then I missed Friday because of a dinner party we were hosting and had to be ready for, but I was back on Saturday.  And I have gone every single day since Saturday, Jan. 7. 

Yesterday marked my tenth straight class I think. 

And it was perhaps my toughest?  It was taught by the female half of the couple who own the studio, and I really like her.  She seems so happy and friendly in a very sincere way. 

But somehow I wasn't feeling it.  I actually sat out the first set of an entire posture, and I thought about doing it several other times. 

I almost never sit one out completely.  Even if it's something I can't completely do, I try to at least get into step one.  And if I can't get to step one, I at least bend toward step one. 

But last night I just sat down on my mat and watched for a while.  Sigh. 

Our instructor mentioned during class that if you're doing the challenge, you have to make sure you're replacing electrolytes.  Maybe that's my problem?  I haven't thought about that at all.  While my heart rate definitely goes up for several seconds in a row many, many times during class, my overall heart rate for the entire 90 minutes, the average, isn't high -- more on pace with a walk, than a fitness class or a run.  But I am certainly sweating a lot in yoga.  So maybe there's something to the electrolyte replacement idea.  Usually I get some when I'm running and afterward, but since my running pace is so much slower now, I don't feel like I need Gatorade or anything like that, so I'm more inclined to drink water.

Last night when I got home, I made sure I had a G2 with my quiche and hopefully that will help. 

If nothing else, I'm planning to take a day off on Thursday (when our Italian conversation class will be starting back up), so maybe that will get me back in my groove. 

By the way, ever since I saw the movie Idiocracy (incredibly stupid but, surprisingly enough, made a few good points), I can't help but laugh in my mind when I hear anything about needing electrolytes.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! That's awesome that you're doing another challenge... and to be honest... I think taking a day off makes a HUGE difference. So, I bet you'll be feeling better in class after your day off. Maybe wouldn't hurt to pick up some electrolyte enhanced water to take to class, though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think taking that day off is really going to help. I agree with Amy that adding something like Smart Water would help you after the class. I can't hurt, right?

    Are you noticing any changes/benefits after doing all this yoga? I'm wondering if you feel calmer or more centered or more flexible? I haven't been doing the series of yoga classes for as long as you have, but I notice benefits already.

    ReplyDelete